Flashback: Lou Ferigno the Parakeet

This post is from another blog that I wrote this past summer... You need this background to understand tomorrow's blog post:


Well,  you might remember that we’re proud owners of a pet parakeet.  It’s name is Lou Ferrigno.  For more information about Lou, please see earlier posts about Lou1 and Lou2.

You might also remember how I created the most awesomest cage ever for Lou1.  Lou1 flew away before he could experience it.  Lou2 lived there after that.  
image
That’s the cage.  It’s amazingly awesome.  Bells and nests and even a NESTING BOX!!  The nesting box is at the bottom there in the corner.  (I took a box I found in the guest house and cut some holes it in… I later found out my mother-in-law was saving that box to give to a friend… oops.  I’m not a very good guesthouse house guest.)

The other night, Stunning and I went over there and we couldn’t find Lou2.  Then I saw his little tail sticking out of the nesting box I made.  How exciting!! He was using the box I made for him.  What an awesome little bird I have! 

The next morning I came and uncovered Lou2’s cage.  (I cover it up each night to protect from the chilly weather and give him some privacy while he’s getting ready for bed.)  I couldn’t find Lou in there though.  I looked in the box and there he was just chilling out.  I smiled.

Then I wanted him to come out of the box so I could play with him and get him used to my touch.  I opened the cage and shook the box a little, but he wouldn’t come out.  Then I got some of the newspaper and pushed it in there and he didn’t move!! 

I had taped the box shut, but I needed an emergency extraction so I ran to get a knife.  I cut open the box to find Lou2’s cold dead body.  Lou2 had died!!!  I dumped him out and cried a little. 
It was still within PetSmart’s 2 week guarantee.  If their pets die within two weeks, you can bring it back and exchange it.  (Kinda morbid, but it worked out well for us.)  Stunning took Lou2 back and now we have Lou3!!!

Lou3 was squaking and freaking out in the box as Stunning brought him home…making all kinds of noise and flying around so much that the box was shaking. She said that she was scared that Lou3 had heard the rumors about what happens to parakeets that go home with the Campbells. I told her that Lou3 was just living up to his name…and that he was going to be the best Lou Ferrigno yet! He was just angry and, afterall, you won’t like him when he’s angry.

By the way, Stunning insisted that we name Lou3 “Lou Ferrigno” too. Why, you ask? Because she thinks it will be hilarious for a little 3 or 4 year old Jack to talk about his bird, "Lou Ferrigno.”

0 comments: