My Point Exactly…

A couple weeks ago, I posted about how as new parents people work hard to scare you sh*tless in order for your baby to be safe.  I mean, if you do something or don’t do something, you’re baby (in all liklihood) will die.  I posted concerning SIDS and the scariness of that. 

SIDS is a serious thing and I don’t want anyone to think differently.  You should follow all of the recommendations set forth by the American Pediatric Association to prevent it from happening.  It’s amazing what education and few changes to how we care for our babies has done to the death rate from SIDS.  My point a couple week ago was some of the tactics used and the information disseminated and the affect it has on parents.  That first week my wife and I had Junior home, we were scared to go to sleep.. while we’re better now it’s still a scary thing.

Anyway, in that post, I had the director of SIDS Services-Illinois post.  This is what she wrote:

I agree with you fathers. You are the parent and you have to raise your baby in the way that you think is best for your child. But, don't you want to take advantage of the latest research in child development? Yes, it's true that babies are not intended to sleep thru the night. Waking up is the one biological defense that our otherwise defensely (sic)infants have to survival - wake up and cry to be cared for.
(Sorry tired parents).

Susie, of course you slept on your tummy. Most everyone did during the 20th century in the western world. But, there were 7000 babies dying a year due to SIDS. By flipping a baby on to his or her back, the number drops to 2200 babies. Amazing! Pretty simple.
I'd also guess that you weren't in a car seat nor did you wear a bike helmet. I even played on construction sites and drank water out of a garden hose. I'm alive and well.
But, not everyone is. These advancement in technology and research make it possible to have fewer deaths.

You're the parent, you get to decide. There are more tools in your parenting tool box than at any other time in history. Use them or not. You'll probably be one of the lucky ones - but if not, there's probably a support group for you.

She makes some good points, but at the same time she proves my point exactly.  We all slept on our tummies as kids and we’re all still alive. There are many that aren’t though and that’s where the back is best comes.

However, my main problem with this Executive Director’s comment is the last paragraph and specifically the last half sentence.  It’s this type of communication and scare tactics that I’m talking about.  “There’s a support group for you”?  That’s a classless line from an individual I would expect would have a bit more tact. 

In the end, you need to listen to the advice and the information given to us.  However, as parents and new parents out there, we need to find a way to get to a happy medium.  A place where information can be fairly and accurately passed out and a point where you’re not scaring people to death to make a point.

6 comments:

Susie said...

So yeah, I'm of the same opinion. But then again, a little fear does help have a proper respect, right? Best bet is to educate yourself and do what is best for you and the baby. And of course never judge others or try to scare them unless you see a pregnant lady drinking beer or you hear of a parent who leaves their 18-month kid alone in the bathtub. I suppose those people need a healthy dose of scare tactics.

April 29, 2010 at 5:10 AM  

So is my baby going to die because he sleeps for long periods of time at night?

April 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM  
Gucci Mama said...

So, I'm laying in bed fighting this horrific migraine, and right now the meds have kicked in to the point where I can look at the computer screen for a few minutes, and I found your blog in my little haze and this makes me happy. So does leaving comments on a blog I just found that make me sound like a crazy person. Which I'm not. Really. No, seriously.

April 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM  
Unknown said...

Here is my unsolicited advice. Are you ready? Let it go. In life-everyone will tell you what to do, how to feel, and what is the better for you. Here is my turn. Let it go otherwise you will be driven crazy!!!!! You and your wife are intelligent and have great common sense, use it and you will be fine! Love to all three of you.

April 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Unknown said...

Gucci Mama...
I would like to congratulate you on leaving the most awesomest comment on my blog to date. :)
John

May 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM  
Gucci Mama said...