Hard Wired for Child Care

Needless to say, these past 8 weeks have not always been the easiest for me or Stunning.  It’s tough to see your child go through all of this.  However, there’s one thing that I’ve learned and it is that a) my wife is absolutely amazing and b) women have an amazing innate ability to take care of children.

I’m not a guy who gets frustrated easily.  In fact, I could probably count the times I got frustrated before Junior was born on one hand.  However, there’s something strange about being around a screaming child that for me it just got to my inner core.  Once we discovered that it was a medical problem, it was easier to accept.  He can still be a plain old fussy baby and when that happens, goodness gracious, it’s tough to handle for me.

On the other hand, my wife is one to get frustrated easily in life.  There’s been many times where I’ve had to calm her down over things that I thought just weren’t that big of a deal.  It’s probably why we make a good duo.  However, when it comes to Junior, very rarely does she get frustrated.  She could be with him for hours when he’s fussy and barely be bothered.

This has made me realize that there really is some instinct there.  There has to be a reason that it is so easy for fathers all over the world to be able to have little to no connection with their kids.  Mothers rarely are in that position. 

More than that though, my wife is doing laundry and cleaning bottles and dealing with a sick kid who can be fussy and she holds it all together.  I can not imagine being married or going through this with anyone else.  At times, when I felt everything was falling apart, she’s been my glue.  She’s an amazing woman and an amazing mother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
Chelsea said...

Fully agree. She is amazing!

April 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Kim said...

Greg and I switched off on which one of us got more frustrated when Ame was an infant. Sometimes he'd be freaking out and I'd be calm and other times I'd be the one crying that I couldn't do it anymore and he'd have to take over and he'd be calm even though she was inconsolably crying...again.

I couldn't imagine having had my baby with any one other than Greg, he's an amazing dad, even now that she is throwing herself to the floor and having tantrums.

May 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM