A Suffering Son

As you read this, I think you might think this is a stretch and I’m not going to argue with you.  However, I wanted to write this and see what it sounds like and if it makes any sense.
During our Acid Reflux cry fests, I would just look at my son’s little face which was in pure agony and pure pain and my heart would break.  There was nothing I could to stop it.  There was nothing he did to deserve it.  There were no good reasons for it to happen. 
Now, before I make this next leap, and I know you know what leap I’m about to make, let it be known that I am not comparing my son to Him.  I am not saying that the suffering he had compared to Him.  However, I’m looking it from my vantage point.
To see your son suffer and feel helpless or to act helpless is one of the most excruciating things in the world.  I think when we thing of Good Friday, we often put much of the focus on Jesus (as it should be).  However, after going through this, it gives me a perspective on what God went through when Jesus suffered.  In this instance though, God chose to sat out (clearly he didn’t have to), but he did for the sake of humanity. 
How excruciating it must have been for God to sit there in Heaven with the knowledge of what he was letting happen to his son.  Unlike my position, God could stop it, but didn’t.  His sacrifice for us was not just the sacrifice of Christ, but a sacrifice the Father put himself through too.  Amazing that He would do that for us. 
As Junior was crying and crying and we tried to soothe him, I wondered if He thought we were causing his pain.  We were the ones giving him a liquid that caused burning, in his mind, were we associated with this?  Was he blaming me?  Again, I had flashes of the Passion.

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Even the though of Junior thinking I was doing this to him made me sad.  This line of Christ’s will always carry some new meaning to me now.
If you go to the Psalm Jesus was quoting though, this sad verse transforms itself into something different.  That’s verse one (why have you forsaken), take a look at verse 9:
Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast.  From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.  Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no-one to help.
Again, I know this is a stretch for people reading.  However, the suffering of my son, the pain, the terror, the exasperation on his face was a life changing thing, a faith changing thing.  It gave a new perspective of what our Lord God dealt with on that day.  It gives me a perspective of what he deals with every day looking at this broken Earth.

2 comments:

Very nice post.

I hate having to sit idly by when one of the kids or my wife are sick. I don't understand why God would allow that to happen to these people I care about. But it's not up to me to understand God. If I did, I would be at God's level and we know I am not.

All I can do is pray for God's healing. In our weakness we see His strength. His grace is sufficient and all good things come from God.

I rest on that.

And I blame Adam and Eve.

April 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Kaitlynn said...

Are you doing BSF this year??

April 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM