Time for Some Smiles!

It’s no lie that a major milestone for a father is the first time he sees his baby smile.  That and the first time he changes the diaper, but the smile is much more interesting and awesome.  (The diapers make my head hurt… more on that another day.) 

Well, about a week and a half ago we saw Junior smile for the first time.  I was bouncing him on my knee and there came a little smirk.  I read research that for many men, this is the first time they feel a bond with a baby.  I think I can attest to that.  There’s a connection there before, but the first time you see the smile the heart melts.  Since his first smile, we’ve found a few things that he really enjoys.

  1. Bouncing on a leg.
  2. Looking at someone’s face.  He had a great time the other day looking at his Grandma Mac’s face and it makes me wonder.  When he’s laughing while looking at a face, is he laughing with us or laughing at us.  Does he smile and laugh because he thinks we look strange?
  3. Being pushed around.  That’s right… my baby is the happiest when he’s being pushed around.

image

image

I don’t think there will ever be a time that a smile like that won’t melt my heart. 

1 comments:

That might be right about the bonding thing. A laugh is certainly the most endearing thing a kid can do, especially when it comes as a response to something you did. makes you feel like you've done something important to be able to get a laugh like that. And you have. Nice.

April 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM