What an Election!

I like to say that I sit right in the middle of the spectrum politically.  On the left sits a whole bunch of people and on the right sits a whole bunch of people too.  I straddle the line like a cowboy and his horse.  On the left, sits my family and on the right sits my in-laws. 

I’m writing this because of what’s happening in Massachusetts right now.  A couple months ago, Ted Kennedy died and it was a foregone conclusion he would be replaced by a democrat.  Well, the election is tomorrow and the Republican in the race is ahead in a lot of polls by a couple points.

Whether Democrats like it or not, this vote is a referendum about the “new” politics of Washington.  I voted for Barack Obama, because I wanted to see “change”.  I wanted to see Republicans and Democrats work together and honestly that is why he was voted in.  People rallied around him for his ability to work both sides of the aisle.  Bipartisanship won in 2008, but that failed in 2009 and so far in 2010.

It’s not Obama’s fault Massachusetts is going to be a loss for the Democrats.  It’s partly the Democrat running the race in the state.  (She’s stated about campaigning: “standing outside Fenway Park? In the cold? Shaking hands?” and about terrorists in Afghanistan as “not there anymore”.) 

Democrats were ushered in over the past 4 years to change the tone, but instead it’s a similar tone but on the left instead of the right.  If they want to stay the reigning party, they need to be able to piss of both their base and the conservative base.  If you’ve got Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore both angry with you, then you’re probably on the right track to achieve what the American people want.

0 comments: