Interviewing While Pregnant

Stunning graduated law school back in May, found out she was pregnant in July, took the bar two weeks later, found out she passed in November, and has been working part-time at a company here since then.  She’s been looking for full-time work, but the lawyer market in these parts is very tight (too many people want to be lawyers, without enough positions).  It’s been pretty difficult to find anything and frankly we haven’t been pushing the issue too much considering she’s going to pop in March.

While earlier this week, she got a call from a recruiter.  She’s going in for an interview on Monday.  When she arrives, there will probably be a little bit of a surprise.  Unless you’re Sarah Palin, everyone knows you’re pregnant when you’re 7 months along.

I told her she should say, “I hope you don’t mind that I brought my son to the interview,” when she shows up.  Or, “Let me address the elephant in the room… or at least the child in my belly.” 

The job sounds perfect for her and the company is supposed to be awesome, which is great.  Anyway, we just need some prayers over the course of the next week that it all works out like it’s supposed to.  I think I’m more nervous about it than she is!  Give us some prayers… and let us know if you have any other lines you’d say to the people when you show up with a basketball under your shirt.

Here’s what she said on the topic:

I like my current job very much. I enjoy the work I do and I absolutely ADORE the attorneys I work with. However, I have a job interview on Monday with a company that I think I could work for for the next 30 years. The position is exactly what I’m looking for and I truly believe I’m the perfect fit for this job--plus it sounds like a fantastic corporate culture.  My big concern is obviously that when I walk in and they see this giant beach ball in my stomach, it’s going to be a deal-breaker.  I, of course, feel like it’s not an issue at all: what’s 6 weeks of maternity leave in the grand scheme of 30 years or whatever?  Plus, it’s not like I would be totally inaccessible in those 6 weeks—with internet and everything, I am sure I could still work some from home even while recovering from Jack’s arrival.  I normally don’t ask for favors, but any prayers or good thoughts you want to send my way would be much appreciated.

6 comments:

My lovies,

It is illegal not to hire someone because she is pregnant. And, if this place is the great fit for you that you believe it is, then they will hire you because they will see that you are a perfect fit! Which is exactly what is going to happen. Good luck!

Susan

January 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM  
Anonymous said...

Oh.. we know this Susan. However, they can find "other" reasons. :)

By the way, my sister-in-law apparently wants to move to Omaha to be your best friend. You must have made quite the impression on her.

John

January 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM  
Unknown said...

I would go for the "mind..brought my son..." one. Very clever and exhibits a sense of humor. People don't just want mere competency in the person they will be spending the majority of the days with, but someone who'd be fun to hang with.

January 23, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author. January 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

JOHN! My advice--take it or leave it--I love the "I brought my son" joke... then I think she should address it flat out. Saying everything she said above--how brilliant she is.. how dedicated.. what an asset she would be, etc etc etc. :) Stunning ROCKS--they'd be nuts not to hire her!! :)

January 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Chelsea said...

Definitely praying for her. I know what you mean- although it's ILLEGAL to consider her pregnancy, it can still happen.

January 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM