Fun in Gruene, Texas

It’s spelled funky (it’s German) but down here in these parts they call it “Green, Texas”.  There’s a large German population, so there’s a lot of German towns.  It’s so German that No smoking signs say both “No Smoke” and “Rauchen ist Vorsicht.”  That’s German!

We went to Gruene to eat at the Gristmill.

image

It is the largest restaurant I have ever eaten in… multiple floors, you get lost going potty, there are as many people working there as there are people that live in the town of Gruene.  It’s nuts. 

It sits right along the Guadalupe River and some of the seats look out over the valley.

image

It was slightly chilly and we ended up sitting inside.  What do they do inside to keep it warm?  They make fire.

image

This is the first time I’ve ever eaten at a place that makes their own fire to keep the guests warm.  It worked… my brother-in-law said I was looking “flush”.

I tried to mix my German heritage with my American citizenship and ordered the "Wurstburger”.  I thought it would be sausage meat made into a patty.  It wasn’t.

image

They took Wursts and cut them in half and piled them on top of a bun.  It looks nasty, but it was quite delicious.

Even Lupe, the steer, looked on the meal in approval.

image

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, I want to go there soon. Did you visit anywhere else you would recommend?

January 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM