Tadpole Things Make Babies

When I was young, I remember watching “Look Who’s Talking”. If you’ll remember it was a charming comedy about kids that had internal monologues, but they could hear each other… so they weren’t completely internal. Grown-ups could *not* hear them, which was comedic. It was classic late 1980s comedy!

There’s a scene in that movie before the babies are born. Not only could babies talk in the movie, but sperm and eggs could talk too. Of course, this was also my first lesson about sperm and eggs. Couple things I learned from the movie… 1) You need a giant round ball to create a baby and the mom has that, 2) you need a fleet of tadpoles provided by the dad. 3) When they meet, they make a baby through magic. 4) Those sperm sure are comedic!! From there, I had to use my imagination to draw all other conclusions.

As we drove on a long family vacation road-trip (which are definitely some of the highlights of my childhood), I began to think about the fact that I was the last child my parents ever had. My sister, then 6.5 years later, me and then nothing… just silence. I wondered why… and then I hit on it!

Me: I know why you didn’t have any more kids after me.

Mom: Why is that?

Dad: Ya. Why is that?

Me: Because dad is bald.

Dad: What?

Me: Dad. [very serious] Listen. You once had hair and when you had hair, you had babies. Now you are bald. Clearly the tadpole things live in your hair and since you lost all of your hair, you don’t have anymore tadpoles to have more babies.

Case closed. It was sound reasoning really. Truthfully, I’m lucky I’m even here as my dad was nearly bald when I was born. However, in my mind that’s the only thing that had changed and therefore it was the only reason my parents failed to have more children.

Anyway, I bring up this story, because we got a beautiful gift from a friend the other day.

Tadpoles Heart Shaped Musical Mobile - Blue - Sleeping Partners  - Babies"R"Us

How cute. However, as I unpackaged the mobile, I noticed the logo of the company that makes it.

photo

The end.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ummm that's a HORRIBLE company name. Kind of grosses me out.

January 21, 2010 at 7:01 AM  

I can't poke a hole in your baldness reasoning. It is air tight.

January 21, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Anonymous said...

Haha. I REMEMBER that conversation. I think Dad got the giggles as he told you that baldness wasn't related to lack of brothers and sisters.

January 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

JOHN! I TOTALLY THINK OF THAT SCENE FROM THE MOVIE WHENEVER I THINK OF EGG & SPERM TOO! I love it!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM  
Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one... Austin & Browyn King... who are apparently one person... like the Borg.

January 27, 2010 at 7:52 PM