I Hope My Son is Larger….

So I have seen this ad on Facebook a couple times now. It’s an ad seeking Gerber baby models. I’m not sure if they are seeking real baby models or, if as this picture suggests, unborn fetus models. 

image

I mean, seriously! I saw this ad and thought, “someone had to have pitched that idea.” I picture a group of people sitting around a table in a conference room and one guy saying, “Okay, so get this…there’s this hand and it’d holding a tiny baby.” And someone says something like, “Oh, you mean like a preemie?” And the guy responds, “No! TINIER!" And out of that great pitch in the Gerber advertising office came this little beauty.

I consider this whenever I see a terrible ad. It’s not like one person had this idea and it is suddenly on TV…someone had to come up with it, pitch it, and an entire group of people had to agree that it was a good idea. Models had to be drawn up, examples had to be given. And yet we still get advertisements with creepy little babies.

If you go into advertising, let’s think twice about the stuff you’re putting out there.  To the Gerber ad exec who thought this was a good idea: I’m sorry, that little baby is not cute…it’s frightening.

3 comments:

Bozo's Mom said...

Quite a few states regulate when a newborn can be an actor in a film. For example, in California, the newborn has to be at least 15 days old and cannot be a premie.

I'm guessing the Gerber adds are filmed in Lithuania.

December 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM  
Unknown said...

Bozo, What does Gerber add to Lithuania? I'm confused.
John

December 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM  
Bozo's Mom said...

All I'm saying is that they obviously aren't filmed anywhere with any sort of "fetal actor" laws.

December 22, 2009 at 9:22 AM