Becoming an Unexpected Father

I’ve wanted to talk about this for awhile.  (It’s the second post here, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t wanted to get it off my chest.)   It’s the role of not just becoming a father, but the role of having an unexpected baby.  Here’s a gift from God, but it’s been delivered to you in a time that you’re not prepared for it.

My wife just graduated law school, is working hard studying for the bar (working hard is an understatement… more like working like an underage child in a shoe factory), living in my in-laws’ guest house and I have just found a job.  There’s one good thing about the entire situation: I have a job.  It took me longer than I wanted to get one, so when I did it was with much relief.  Anyway, we’re two weeks away from the bar exam and my wife’s sister finds out she’s pregnant.  That gets Stunning (that’s my name for my wife here) thinking about herself and she begins to worry.  She takes an old generic test… one that she had from her last time of getting worried… and finds out that the baby test does nothing to calm her fears (that was her plan… take a test and not have to worry about it anymore), but it instead confirms, as in positive.

Wow.  What a way to turn a world upside down.  Stunning and I had a 5 year plan, which I included a baby in at the end of the plan and she included the baby in a 10 year plan.  What I’m about to say might be difficult for some to read and frankly now it’s difficult for me to type, but I didn’t want the child. 

There are some people in this world that try and try and try and can’t get pregnant.  There are others that want a baby more than anything else.  There are others that get pregnant right away, but lose the baby.  All of these people deserved to have a baby more than us.  There was so much guilt between the two of us about these feelings.  How do you tell other people that the gift of life you’ve created isn’t something you want.  We wouldn’t be able to travel.  We wouldn’t be able to save the money we wanted to get a house, a new car, as fast as we wanted.  There was a whole bunch of “Now we can’t” going on in both of our heads.

Well, I’m here to tell people that might be reading this… that might be in the same situation… to wait.  Step back and just wait.  As the days went by, those feelings began to fade.  They’re gone now.  I can’t describe to you how much I already love my son.  Tonight, I held my face to my wife’s belly and just listened.  You could hear him moving in there and then he started to kick or punch or head-butt my face.  There is no feeling in the world that can describe that.

I’m sorry I felt that way at the beginning.  I think more than anything it was a kind of grieving process for the passing of what could have been… That’s gone now.  Sure, I still think of my planned trip to Germany next year that won’t happen and about the Lexus IS250 that I won’t have… but they all pale in comparison to the knowledge that in March I’ll be holding my beautiful baby son.  He’s going to be magnificent.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even tho I was trying, about a week before I found out about Amelia I had decided that Greg and I were better off without kids and it'd be fine and a nice life without them. Then bam, pregnant...and I had some times like you described too. I think some of that is normal...maybe not for EVERYONE but more normal than you think. Let go of that guilt if you have any of it left :)

December 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM  
Pam said...

sometimes those feelings happens for some. it just does especially when you plan not to have kids for awhile. but usually, whether you plan or not, there's never going to be just the 'right time' to have kids...like after you get that better job, make more money, get new house, etc. there are some people who do that and wait too long to the point they 'never get around to having kids' and regret it. so i guess there's both sides of the fence. i'm w kimberly, just let the guilt go, if any.

December 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM  
Eric said...

Cool! Man, it is good to meet you - can't wait to hear more!
Congrats btw!

December 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM  
Unknown said...

Thanks all... don't feel much guilt now... but I think about it sometimes and do. I'm excited though!

Having a child really makes you feel like you're living in the future!

December 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

John--this post was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

December 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM  
Unknown said...

Thank You for sharing your words, I am in the denial stage and wish we had more time to do the things we wanted. We talked about abortion but I think things would never be the same afterwords. We both have great job's and means to take care of a child. I have to forget about my sports car, Las Vegas with my Buds, and all the thing's we wish we could do. well I guess it's not that bad, A turn for the better.

Thank You!

January 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM  
Unknown said...

Hi Alejandro,
Thanks for commenting and reading. I'm glad you chose what you did and I promise beyond belief that when you feel him for the first time, you will never regret it.

Although, I don't know for sure, when he or she yells at you the first time in their teens you might change your mind. :)

Good luck! These next few months will be quite the ride... followed by a bigger ride..

John

January 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM