A Little More Baseball

I know… I know… I just talked about baseball on Friday.  If you can’t tell though, I’m pretty excited that a) many of the Cardinals pitchers are already in Jupiter (not the planet – Jupiter, Florida) and b) the date for them to actually report is this week.  By the time opening day arrives, I’ll have run out of baseball topics.  (By the time opening day gets here, I’ll have a kid… WEIRD!!!)

I wanted to bring up a little strange enigma within my family.  As mentioned previously, the Cardinals are my favorite team.  They’re my favorite team because they’re my dad’s favorite team. They’re my dad’s favorite team because… he wanted to be different.  In truth, and I will admit it here, I actually come from a line of Cub fans.  Cubs versus Cardinals is the rivalry everyone forgets about.  ESPN is too concerned with the Red Sox v. Yankees (Actually the Red Sox v anyone and the Yankees v Anyone… it’s pretty ridiculous..) and I think the Cubs/Cardinals rivalry gets lost in the hubbub of the big media markets on the coast.

You see, Cardinal fans love making things like this:




While Cub fans enjoy making things like this:


Honestly though, I’m not gonna lie to say I’m not the best Cardinals fan.  Mainly because I root for the Cubs in certain situations.  Most of that has to do with the fact that my Uncle John is another big reason for my extreme interest in baseball.  Even though he despises the Cardinals, he would always take me to games as a kid. 

Then when the Cubs were in the playoffs (remember that time in the 1990s?), Uncle John took me to Wrigley Field for game 3 of the NLDS.  You haven’t really experienced baseball until your at Wrigley Field during a playoff game.  It happens rarely enough, I can say that.  
So while my Grandpa (on the right)image
And my Grandma:
image Raised my Uncle to love the Cubs.image My Dad became a Cardinals fan
image And so did I…
image …but with my Grandma being born a long time ago and knowing she’s never experienced a World Series victory and know my Uncle watches almost every game of the Cubs season, there’s always going to be a part of my DNA pulling for the Cubs.

1 comments:

I hate the Cubs as much as I love the Cards. Very little in life gives me as much joy as watching the Cubs fail again.

I love Wrigley though. I went and saw the Cubs and Cards play two games back in 2005. I have been to Fenway and the old Yankee Stadium as well. Wrigley was by far my favorite. I loved it. The Cards and Cubs split the two games. I heckled and got heckled. It was fun.

February 16, 2010 at 9:48 AM