It’s Tax Time!!!!

Guest Post From the Wife:

Ronald Reagan once quipped, “Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15.” I see what he was trying to get at…but Ronny, I’m a member of the GOP and I don’t see why it’s so bad that every day is April 15.  The closer we are to April 15, the more of these little cuties we get to see:

You only need to watch the first 20 seconds or so to get the point: it’s one of those guys who holds the signs for Liberty Tax Services and grooves for the cars passing by.  You may be wondering why I’m posting a video of this—well folks, it’s a well-known fact about Molly: I LOVE DANCING ADVERTISERS!!!

“How did this all start?” you ask? When I was in college, I would drive down Cuming Street everyday on my way to class. It was 7 am and I was tired. In January, 2 men suddenly started showing up on my drive: Uncle Sam and a cross-dressing Lady Liberty. There they were in the frigid cold and snow dancing and having a wonderful time. I’m not talking dancing like this guy above. They were GETTING DOWN!!!!

I started thinking, “They have to be miserable and yet they are just exuding joy. I need to be more like that.” So every morning as I passed them, I got a little smile on my face that they were so happy and it served as a reminder to me to cheer myself up…yes, it was 7 am but I was headed to school to get a good college education…a college education that I wasn’t even paying for…why was I so miserable about this? As the days and weeks went on, it evolved into me waving at them. Then I’d laugh a bit because they recognized my car and would generally dance even MORE as they saw the dark blue Taurus coming their way. So, of course, I had to dance back a little. And it just turned into this absolute, uncontainable, dancing-in-the-driver’s-seat joy when I saw them.

Yes, it began with my love for the Liberty Tax Dancers but it has evolved into ANYONE dancing while holding a sign…dominoes pizza dancers, jiffy lube groovers, mattress firm rockin’ mattresses. I love them all. I am not sure why something so simple makes me so happy but unless you see me when I pass one of these people, you really will never be able to grasp the full effect. I try and hold back…I try and be normal like the rest of you…just pass by them like they aren’t there. But I can’t! I start waving uncontrollably and bopping up and down…giggling with glee. I know that you probably don’t believe me…but just ask Christine Brinkman. She had the pleasure of seeing this for the first time a few weekends ago.  She was in mid-conversation with me and had to wait a full minute for me to recover from my excitement at the dancing Uncle Sam. I just giggle and dance and get over-the-top happy. Unfortunately, there’s a downside to this: if I see a liberty tax dancer (or any other advertising dancer) NOT getting down, I have the opposite reaction and I get totally bummed out that I am missing out on the opportunity to have one of my joyous encounters. There’s a liberty tax person very close to my house…I pass him on an almost daily basis and I’m getting more and more tempted by the day to roll down my window and school him on his job. I mean really, waving? That’s it? That’s all you can do for your faithful admirers?

I am not kidding you when I say that I will truly drive miles out of my way to find one of these dancers if I am having a bad day. They can cheer me up no matter what…even the day that the woman at the fabric store told me I was fat…what cheered me up? Dancing lady liberty!

These guys, they love to dance. And I love to watch ‘em! It’s the simple things in life…

0 comments: