Being a Father

Well, now that I’m a dad, I am pretty sure I know everything now.  In fact, from my knowledge of being a young child I remember knowing that my Dad knew pretty much everything.  Of course, now that I’m in that same situation, I have realized that fathers don’t really know as much as their kids think they do.  In just the first week of being a dad, there have been challenges and unknowns at pretty much every corner.

There’s really nowhere to begin that I can accurately describe to you everything that has happened over the past week.  However, I wanted to mention a few things:

  1. Perhaps I’m a weirdy, but I did not have that life altering “My life has changed since I saw my son” moment when I first saw him.  I definitely got teary-eyed, but that entire impact of the new situation has not hit me.  People say it will change your entire view of life, and while Junior has changed my life (that’s an understatement), I would say I carry the same worldview that I did a week ago.  God is good and the world is amazing, but I’ve known that for a long time now.
  2. Since we’re now home, I kind of wish I could go back to the hospital.  :-)  People, with advanced degrees, were available at every call.  They were all very friendly and if I had a question or if a problem arose, they would take care of it.  Now, all I have is Google.
  3. When you’re baby is crying and you can’t figure out why and there’s nothing you can do to settle him down… well, that might be the most frustrating moment of a person’s life.  I told him last night, “I can’t wait until your older so we can just talk about what is bothering you.”  He responded by screaming louder.  (Oh… he was hungry…)
  4. Somehow you’re ability to operate on small amounts of sleep increases tremendously when there’s another life depending on you waking up.
  5. My wife is amazing.  Absolutely amazing.

Of course, there’s much more to come. 

2 comments:

I read that there is an iPhone app that lets you know what your kids screams mean up until about eight months.

Congrats again, bud.

And you don't know how often you will use Google. :)

March 15, 2010 at 4:35 AM  

1. Your world view is a bit off. God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
3. Our doctor told me if the baby is crying a. check diaper b. try feeding c. give them to mom. He was dead serious too.
4. Agreed
5. I learned that too.

March 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM