The Dreaded Two Month Shots

Well, on Monday we took Junior up to get his vaccinations.  I’m happy to report that he’s a wonderful 11 pounds 4 ounces and 22 inches long/tall.  That’s the 50% for both!!  That means folks that my kid is just average.

Of course, the scary part are the shots.  The needles came out and holy crap were they long.  I didn’t think he had that much room for them to go in and not come out the other side.  Well, they went in and boy was he PISSED. 

For many parents, this is the first time they see their kids in pain.  I wish I could say the same thing, but I can’t.  In fact, there are so many scary stories about these shots that I was expecting something other worldly.  He started screaming and I realized this was the exact same face and the exact same scream he will give if his acid reflux is bad.  I had seen it numerous times before and for a couple weeks, I saw it every single day.  That’s when it hit me… the pain, which I knew was bad, was excruciating for him.  Poor little man. 

Here’s the best part of the shots – we thought he’d be fussy and mad for hours.  I mean, he usually is a fussy baby, so having these shots would make it worse.  Au contraire!  Instead, he had a normal day.  How crazy is that?  I count my blessings though.

He cried for about 5 minutes.  Then he settled down and looked like this:

Then he was pretty good for the rest of the day!

3 comments:

When they're baby babies they forget it. They have B.A.D.D. Baby Attention Deficit Disorder. It's not until they get older and recognize the nurse as the one who causes them so much pain is when it really starts to tear at you.

May 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM  
Chelsea said...

Everytime one of yall posts a picture of him, I forget everything I just read. HE IS SO CUTE!!! I want to hug him!

May 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

The shots do suck. They always threw Braden off for a day or so. Glad you had a good day afterwards. He is a good looking kid.

May 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM